Back Top
News Outlook 2016 End of Year Overview of Foreign Professionals Working in Taiwan

In this era of globalization, outstanding human capital is an important prerequisite for countries that wish to increase their competitiveness and industrial development. In addition to cultivating talent at home, countries are also actively recruiting outstanding professionals from abroad in order to bolster domestic economic strength.

1. As of the end 2016, the number of effective employment permits for foreign professionals was 31,025 persons, up 4,227 persons (or approximately 15.8%) as compared to the same period in 2011. Men made up 77.8% of the total; women, 22.2% of the total. The number of applications for "specialized or technical works" accounted for the largest block at 58%, followed by "full-time foreign teacher in cram school" at 16%.

2. By country, the largest group of foreign professionals was from Japan, which accounted for 28% of the total; this was followed by those from the United States, at 17%; these two countries alone accounted for approximately 45% of the total. Since 2012, the number of applicants from Malaysia has increased to replace Canada as the third largest group.

3. The number of foreign professionals from the 18 countries in the New Southbound Policy made up 27% of the total, with those from Malaysia, the Philippines, and India occupying the top three places, and combining to make up 69% of the total; of these, those engaged in "specialized or technical works" ranked the highest, at 74.3%.

4. The number of foreign professionals in the education industry ranked highest at 25%, followed by the manufacturing and wholesale & retail trade industries.

5. The workplaces of foreign professionals are concentrated in the six cities of Taipei, New Taipei, Taoyuan, Taichung, Tainan, and Kaohsiung, as well as in both Hsinchu City and County, accounting for 93% of the total.

Key words: Foreign Professionals, Effective Employment Permit, Foreigners Working in Taiwan

Dear Reader,
Thanks for your support for “Taiwan Labor Bi-Monthly E-News.” In order to understand exactly what you need, please help us answer the following questions after reading the article. Thanks for your cooperation. We wish you good health and all the best!